Athletic budget cut update #5
Here is the next installment in a series of postings about the on-going budget struggles in college athletics:
- Idaho - 6.4% budget cut ($157,000) and a $183,000 "strategic reallocation" for 2009. Positions left vacant, elimination of assistant track coach, elimination of team banquets, travel reductions and scaled down recruiting.
- Washington State - May not participate in post season basketball tournaments, other than the NCAA or NIT, over concerns about losing money by participating in lower level events.
- All North Carolina State Supported Universities - State legislature is considering eliminating exemption that allows student athletes to be considered state residents for the purpose of calculating tuition payments to the University by athletics, resulting in a $10 million increase in tuition costs for athletic departments across the state.
- Harvard - Offering buyouts to 10% of its 16,000 non-faculty staff members including eligible athletic staff.
- Arizona State - Head Football Coach Dennis Erickson and Head Men's Basketball Coach Herb Sendek sacrificing a combined $34,400 in salary due to 12 days of furlough.
- Clemson - All University employees forced to miss five days of pay - Men's basketball coach to lose $4,300 in salary.