Athletic budget cuts continue
- Nicholls State - $150,000 cut to be implemented by end of fiscal year (June 30)- reducing travel for spring teams, scheduling additional guarantee games in football and basketball, hiring freeze including women's soccer head coach position (vacant since November).
- University of North Carolina - Considering reducing team travel and travel squad sizes.
- James Madison University - Facing 10% cut on a $26 Million budget - Considerations include leaving open positions unfilled, elimination of staff travel, less expensive hotels, bus travel instead of flying, and considering additional guarantee games in football and basketball.
- Louisiana State University - Louisiana State system facing possible layoffs of 1900 faculty and staff members.
- Georgia - In an example of an athletic department funding the educational mission, athletic department to donate $6 million to the University's general fund to offset loss of state funding.
- Missouri - Shifting air travel from charters to commercial air, reducing out of season competition, sleeping three student athletes to a hotel room instead of two, hiring freeze for non-essential personnel, reducing television advertising, reducing overtime.
Check back in the near future for more updates about on-going budget related articles from around the nation.